I had an urge to bake tonight. It was probably a bad idea since I’m trying NOT to eat such things now that our wedding is so soon, but we had bananas in the fridge that were older and I didn’t want to waste them. So, I took this recipe and modified it slightly:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- 1/3 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350° F. Grease and flour a loaf pan. In a large bowl, beat sugar and peanut butter until fluffy. Beat in egg on slow speed until blended then add bananas and yogurt. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until just combined then pour into loaf pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove to cooling rack. Wrap tightly in wax paper and then in a layer of aluminum foil. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The original recipe called for nuts and white whole wheat flour, but I didn’t have the right kind of nuts (plus I don’t like breads like this with nuts) and I also didn’t have white whole wheat flour. I had regular whole wheat flour, but I kind of wanted the peanut butter and banana flavors to stand out so I used regular flour. As far as the chocolate chips? That’s a given. Chocolate makes anything better in my world. 🙂
It came out really good. I had a little piece after dinner and then wrapped it up. I’m thinking that tomorrow I need to freeze it so I won’t eat it for the next week. Because trust me. If this bread stays on my counter it will get eaten. Guaranteed.
Countdown: 4 days of school and 18 days until our wedding