Tonight’s dinner was a vegetarian version of the baked ziti my mom has made several times. I sort of made it up as I went along based on what I remembered of her making it. It turned out really yummy.
Vegetarian Baked Ziti
1 package penne (we used whole wheat)
1 1/2 jars spaghetti sauce (we used a whole jar of Trader Joe’s arrabiata sauce and about 1/2 a jar of regular marinara)
1 package grated mozzarella cheese, reserve about 1/2 cup
1 container ricotta cheese
1 package Trader Joe’s beef-less ground beef
- Cook penne according to directions and drain
- Mix penne, sauce, cheeses, and ground beef together until combined.
- Add basil, oregano, and parmesan cheese to taste
- Pour mixture into 9×13 casserole dish and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired and serve.
If I had to change one thing about this recipe, it would be to use a can of diced tomatoes instead of the 1/2 jar of marinara. In fact, the only reason I used the marinara was that we didn’t have a can of diced tomatoes handy. The marinara was for another recipe, but I won’t need the whole jar anyway so it worked out. Overall, this was a definite winner. And super easy!
We paired it with a salad of course.
We also have leftovers for 2 more dinners at least. 🙂
This week shouldn’t be too bad. Even though I’ll be at school rather late (until 5:30) 3 days in a row for dance production tryouts, the week is only 4 days long and I’ll have my students doing projects. We really are in the home stretch of the school year now. I can’t wait for it to be done!
Countdown: 13 days of school and 32 days until our wedding