Part 2 of the meal that started with guacamole was maple brown sugar salmon and grilled vegetable salad. Sadly, we forgot to take pictures of the vegetable salad before we ate it. But there are leftovers so hopefully we’ll remember tomorrow. 🙂
The meal was paired with a glass each of chardonnay. Yum!
Maple Brown Sugar Salmon
spoonful of brown sugar
~1 tbsp maple syrup
dash chili powder
dash garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients (except salmon of course) in a small bowl. Pour over salmon filet.
- Grill salmon on an outdoor grill or grill pan (which is what we did) until done.
- Yes, it’s that easy.
Grilled Vegetable Salad (adapted from myrecipes.com)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp honey
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper
a mix of grill-able vegetables – we used eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and a few bell pepper pieces we had in the fridge)
basil and oregano
- Slice eggplant into ~1/2 inch slices and sprinkle both sides with salt. Let sit for about 15 minutes and then dab off the extra salt. This prevents the eggplant from becoming too mushy when cooked.
- While the eggplant is being salted, mix all vinaigrette ingredients except vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice the remaining vegetables into chunks suitable for grilling – we like to cut them in half lengthwise and then into 4 inch pieces.
- Grill all vegetables on an outdoor grill or grill pan (which is what we did) until they have nice grill marks and are soft but not mushy.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut them into small pieces.
- Put vegetables in the bowl with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Add basil and oregano to taste, and more salt and pepper if necessary
So far it has been a pretty nice weekend. And the best part is, there’s one more day! And I’m starting it with a 5 mile run. 🙂
Countdown: 13 days of school and 33 days until our wedding